Sunday, January 25, 2009

Our story begins...


To start off this blog, I want to give you an idea of who we are, where we've come from, and how we got to this place in our lives with my next few blog entries. My husband has been one of my best friends since middle school. We met in sixth grade through our classes together, and shared many mutual friends. Our friends formed a nerdy/unpopular kid group that consisted of 8 to 10 kids over the rest of our school years through graduation and beyond.

We both grew up in Smithfield, NC, a small semi-rural town that can be easily identified with pick-ups, tobacco, and hicks. Zach lived out in the country, and I lived downtown. We didn't start hanging out after school until he was old enough to drive, and then we would get together with friends or occasionally on our own.

He took me on a date once during our junior year, hahaha, to a small ice cream shop where he didn't say more than a dozen words to me the whole time. I couldn't figure out why he'd asked me on a date at all. I knew that he was a quiet guy, but I figured that he would have something to say if we were out together. That was the first time we ever went on a date, and it was the last one of it's kind in high school. We spent quite a bit of time together, but it was always as friends after that, because he was not able to tell me that he liked me, while I was missing the obvious. I gave him my friend label and didn't think anything else about it.

Zach has always been quirky, funny (though only when he isn't trying to be), and a great friend. He would have done anything for me growing up, and later did more for me than any other friend. I never thought that our friendship would go beyond being friends into love and eventually to a committed marriage, but I am glad that I married my best friend. Having a relationship beyond a romantic one has provided the best foundation for our marriage.

I will spend more time expanding our story throughout the next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment