Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Puppy problems....

We are having issues with our pups. We generally have problems with Penny trying to escape and get away, and that has become second nature. We have started taking her on long walks each night so that she gets the chance to explore new things, an effort expended to curb her wanderlust. She has been a very good girl since her last escape event this past weekend. She got out an open window in the house (we had it open because it was so nice out), and was gone over night before someone called us in the morning to tell use where she ended up.

The problems of late have been with Omie. Omie is generally a very good dog. She doesn't try to get away, she has very good table manners - even when we eat in front of her, she does like to chase the kitties, but it's not that big of a problem. However, she has been peeing inside of the house every day for the last 5-6 days. We understand some of the accidents, because we know that she has a small bladder. We try to let her out twice as often for bathroom breaks as you would a normal dog her size, but very early this morning she completely astounded me - she peed in the middle of our bed.

Omie slept with us all night, curled up in the middle of bed at our feet. My alarm went off at 5:30, I got up to press snooze, and when I turn around, Omie was in my spot. I thought she was trying to snuggle with me, but when I tried to move her back to her spot, she wouldn't budge. She is never that hard to move. When I tried to physically pick her up and put her back, that's when I found out she had peed in the bed. I don't know why she would do that, in the exact place where she had slept all night. There was no clue that she even had to go. She didn't get excited about getting up, she simply stood up, peed, and then moved to my spot in the bed.

Sadly for us, and for Omie I'm sure, she has lost her bed privileges until we can trust her. I don't know what we're going to do about these peeing problems, but we need to figure it out. She's been so good until recently, why would she all of a sudden take giant leaps backward?

No comments:

Post a Comment