Friday, March 13, 2009

Beth and Taxes

I didn't get a chance to post anything last night because my mom came over so that I could do her taxes. I love being able to help my mom with her taxes. It is the easiest thing for me to go through TurboTax with her, something she would have to pay for that I can do for nothing. It was a very productive evening. My mom is getting a nice sum of money back, and before she came to the house I did a quick clean. The house is now clean before the weekend even starts!

Other than doing my mom's taxes, the only other interesting thing to mention about last night was the topic of conversation with my husband. All we could talk about last night was how a friend of ours, S, who hasn't had a girlfriend is years that I know of, is dating a friend of mine, Beth. I love Beth, and she was my best friend through high school. When we left for college, we weren't that great at keeping in touch over long distances, and our friendship suffered. I have truly missed the closeness that we used to share, but Beth made lots of friends while in college. I don't know that I can compete with them these days. Beth is always busy, and while she only lives about 7 minutes from my house, I hardly see her. I have tried to rekindle our former closeness, but I haven't been diligent about it. I've been easily defeated by competing priorities or other friends without even putting up much of a fight.

The friend that Beth is now dating is someone that I also love. S is my sister's age and has been in my life off and on since I was in elementary school. We went to the same church, and he worked with my sister when they were in high school. As chance would have it, I didn't see S for years when I went away to school, but my husband became one of his best friends in my absence. S is the best kind of man that goes completely unappreciated. He's dependable, kind, there to lend a helping hand, a man of faith, and very intelligent with a range of knowledge bases. And now S is seeing my friend, Beth, because her coworker goes to church with him and set them up.

Zach used to talk about setting them up. He thought it was the best idea. I used to tell him that it wouldn't work. While I was sure they would be great friends, the Beth I had known and the S I know were not completely compatible in their life plans. Beth was born and raised in Massachusetts and has talked about moving back north for as long as I can remember. S does not like to leave the town we grew up in, and usually refuses to leave our county for any reason. I just didn't see how that would work.

I am beginning to think that perhaps I was wrong about their compatibility. I am hoping for things that I didn't consider before. I hope that they enjoy each other's company, but I have a selfish motive. I want Beth to join our close knit group of friends that her new date is such a big part of. I want a chance to be her best friend again. I also want to see both of them happy, and I think that this relationship could bring them happiness. Perhaps Beth can help
S expand his comfort with traveling and open him up to the idea of seeing new things and experiencing new places. Maybe it will be the best thing ever. I hope....

No comments:

Post a Comment