Sunday, March 22, 2009

Sunday Sunshine

And by "sunshine" I mean yellow paint. Zach and I finally painted our kitchen today. It has been three and a half months since the wallpaper came down and it was prepared to be painted. I honestly don't know why it took us so long to actually get it done, but it is nice to see it done. Well, the walls are done at least. All the trim is waiting to be painted, but that is a job just for me and so it will take forever.

Zach is a big picture kind of guy and doesn't pay that much attention to the details. I'm a detail freak when I want to be, and when it comes to working on the house, I look at everything with a magnifying glass. This is not the best approach to home improvements by hand, but it is a good lesson for me in letting go. Anyway, Zach is not patient enough to spend the time needed on the trim without making a mess of it. I'm glad that he knows this and defers to me on these tasks. However, that leaves all of the detail work to me alone.

I have to say that we never would have gotten the walls painted without my husband. I told him two weeks ago that we needed to get it done, no excuses. Today he said, "We are going to paint the kitchen." He made me get myself off of the couch where I was reading comfortable and start getting things done. I was the one that originally wanted it done, but I eventually got lazy about it. Thank goodness he was there to spur me on.

Our yellow reminds me of this picture from SouthernAccents.

Our kitchen is now a delightful yellow. We chose Valspar's Filoli Honey to grace the walls of our small kitchen.

This paint chip from Valspar doesn't look very yellow which is why I added the picture above.
Our kitchen is at the center of our home, and I wanted it to be a warm, bright, and inviting space. I think that the Filoli Honey creates the feel I was trying to imbue through color. The trim is going to be white, and the counter tops are a dark green. I think it mixes well with the white tile floors and the earthy red/brown of the brick fireplace that is the backdrop for the oven.


This is our kitchen before we started working on it. The green stripped wallpaper was horrible. Thank goodness it is gone.

I'll try to post pictures of our kitchen with new yellow walls sometime soon. Perhaps the trim will even be done by then!

No comments:

Post a Comment