Sunday, March 8, 2009

Levi and Diesel

On Saturday I signed up to foster two six month old kitties from Marley's Cat Tales. The boys are named Levi and Diesel. I originally went to the adopt-a-thon at the Briar Creek PetSmart to look at Joda, their other brother, and Levi. When I met the three boys, I found out from their original foster mom that Joda was really playful and incredibly independent. That sounds like it could be a good thing, but I like really lovey kitties, and he wasn't much of a lap cat. The other two were described as very loving boys, and when I saw how adventurous Diesel seemed in the store, I thought that I'd take the two lovey boys with me. I am fostering to adopt to see how things turn out.

Handsome little Levi

Diesel looking ridiculously cute

Charlie is not liking his two new cat-mates. He acts like a grumpy old man. He hisses and growls and groans and complains that they are invading his home. He got to sniff Diesel all over as Diesel has the best manners for a young little guy that I've ever seen. He drops right into a submissive posture and bends over backwards to try and make Charlie realize he isn't a threat, but Charlie isn't impressed. Though Charlie got to check out Diesel, whenever Diesel made a move to sniff Charlie, he got slapped by grumpy Charlie.

I've never had to work to get cats to like each other. I know it takes some time and it has only been a day and a half, but I'm kind of at a loss here. When I first brought Charlie home to be a companion for Bosley, Bosley had only been in the house for three or four days on his own. It wasn't really his place yet. I think that helped the guys get accustomed to each other and no one had the chance to feel territorial. The little boys coming to this house is a completely different story. This has been Charlie's home for almost six months now.

Things are going slowly. Charlie has not gotten any more welcoming to the little boys since they came through the door. They, however, are doing quite well in their new home. They are running around and exploring whenever Charlie isn't in the room hissing at them. Levi has a case of the sniffles that I have to talk to his former foster mom about tomorrow, but other than that they seem comfortable here. They have proven to be just as described, very lovey boys, and I have had a great time having them curled up in my lap rubbing their cute little heads on my face or right under my chin. I'm pretty sure that I will keep both of them if everything turns out well. I think that I will be changing Diesel's name to Asher though. Asher is another Hebrew inspired name, and reflects his coloring well. Levi will still be Levi as I think it suits him just fine.

I hope that Charlie gets more comfortable with them by the end of the week. I'm going to talk to some of the foster people to get some advice, and we'll hope for the best. I'd like to say that I have three little kitty boys - Charlie, Asher and Levi. Doesn't that sound great? The whole family evened out. Two people, three dogs, and three cats. Perfection!

No comments:

Post a Comment